FSSAI Registration / License
The Registration or Licensing of food business operators is governed by Food Safety and Standards Act 2006.FSSAI is under the control of Government of India Ministry of Health and Family Affair. FSSAI sets standards for food products based on science and regulates their production, storage, distribution, sales and imports to ensure they are safe for consumption.
FSSAI license is basically a 14- Digit registration number which is printed on food packages.
FOOD SAFETY – Why needed ?
- Food safety means an assurance that the food is acceptable for human consumption according to its intended use
- “Standard”, in relation to any article of food, means the standards notified by the Food Authority.
- It is of vital importance to all consumers & food business operators- engaged in production, Processing, distribution & sale.
It provides confidence to consumers that the food they buy and eat will do no harm to them and that they are protected from
- Food Business Operator must be registered.
- If Food Business Operator is operating in more than 1 state, one additional Central License for Head Office is necessary.
- Importers are allowed to take one single central license at their Import Export Code address.
- One presumption with various types of businesses is eligible for one registration only.
- Food Business Operator must obey the rules and conditions of registration.
- Any Food Business Operator without FSSAI food license is liable to pay penalty for the offences.